[WikiEN-l] let's be honest then

MacGyverMagic/Mgm macgyvermagic at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 20:42:33 UTC 2007

On 3/31/07, Ken Arromdee <arromdee at rahul.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Mar 2007, doc wrote:
> > Perhaps a more honest reply would have been:
> >
> > "We're sorry you had to complain about this. Regrettably that's the
> > price you pay for our determination to retain as many articles as we
> > can, even though we can't currently maintain most of them. You see, if
> > we change things we might upset some of our editors who might have some
> > of their unreferenced articles deleted by mistake. Basically, we're more
> > concerned with that type of collateral damage than with wrecking your
> life.
>
> If that's really a problem, then make a policy specifically related to
> biographical information in articles.
>
> A proposal was made to actively delete *all* unsourced articles.  As an
> attempt to solve your user's probplem, it's massive, massive, overkill.

Accuracy is nice, but if we have it at expense of a coverage (a lot of which
is accurate but unsourced) I prefer a wide coverage. It's easier to fixing
what we have than creating new articles from scratch which will just
reintroduce creation paranoia (and probably the second time we hit the
1000000th article). So that's what I will do. Try to promote fixing the
articles we have.