[WikiEN-l] deleting unsourced articles ..... gradually

MacGyverMagic/Mgm macgyvermagic at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 19:58:36 UTC 2007

On 3/31/07, Phil Sandifer <Snowspinner at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mar 31, 2007, at 12:41 PM, doc wrote:
>
> > And it would take you under a min to find a second citation for
> > that..... so it is a poor example.
>
> But what would a second citation add to that article? Or, more to the
> point, how is the lack of a second citation something so bad that the
> article should be deleted unless it gets one?
>
> > Yes, with any policy change, someone is going to be able to dig out
> > the
> > odd example where it would not really help. If we don't act because of
> > marginal damage, then we will never change anything. When we have 1.5
> > million articles we need to think bigger than that - and consider net
> > impact on the project, not one or two cases.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andorran_Democratic_Centre
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SEC_Rule_10b-5 (Only source is the
> primary source)
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Virginia_University_Press
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focus_on_the_Family_Institute
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Ferguson_%28organist%29
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
> Institute_for_the_Certification_of_Computing_Professionals
>
> Would you like me to find more? Now, mind you, I don't know for 100%
> certain that, for instance, the Focus on the Family Institute is
> notable. But all of these articles are short, descriptive articles
> that rely entirely on a primary source.
>
> I also am pretty certain that instead of gutting bad articles what
> would happen here is that articles on politicians in non-English
> speaking countries would get gutted. We would lose our coverage on
> the non-English speaking world rapidly. For instance, that first link
> - the Andorran Democratic Centre? None of our articles on Andorran
> political parties would survive this proposal. Neither would our
> Peruvian politicians.

This proposal didn't suggest deleting something because it was foreign. If
it's a legitimate Andorran political party, there will be secondary sources
although they are in French. English sources are preferred but French or
Peruvian ones are acceptable if those are the only ones the editor working
on it can find or understand.

Mgm