[WikiEN-l] let's be honest then

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 19:34:37 UTC 2007

On 31/03/07, James Farrar <james.farrar at gmail.com> wrote:

> But seriously, the kind of rant that kicked off this thread wouldn't
> be out of place at Review. If Doc is that unhappy with what he's
> doing, I can most heartily recommend he steps back from it.

I did. It didn't help. The project is still stupid about the same
things, though I feel a little less stressed now.

Basically, the problem is not that we have people burning out by
dealing with complaints; that's to be expected. The problem is that
they're burning out because the community as a whole is being actively
counterproductive; it's a symptom of the problem we need to solve,
rather than the problem itsel.f

We can keep throwing clueful editors at the problems, but if we don't
fix the root problems all we do is keep setting ourselves up to burn
more people out. Which is even less helpful.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk