[WikiEN-l] Getting hammered in a tv interview is not fun

Matthew Brown morven at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 07:07:15 UTC 2007

On 3/30/07, Bryan Derksen <bryan.derksen at shaw.ca> wrote:
> Marc Riddell wrote:
> >From a human point of view, which is my point of view, this response is
> > chilling.
> [snip much explanation]
> This seems like an application of NPOV taken to a meta level. What's
> chilling about it?

In this one, I agree with Bryan and Geni.  Adopting 'do no harm' as a
policy higher up than NPOV - which is what in effect several
contributors are suggesting, if I read them right - is a fundamental
change to Wikipedia's mission and objectives.  Adopting it as a
guideline at lower level than Wikipedia's core principles is
acceptable to me, but I find its adoption at a higher level of policy
than that to be troubling.  Especially since many things can be
considered harmful, including many things many of us might consider
important.

Heck, some people (e.g. Brandt) consider Wikipedia unfixably harmful.

-Matt