[WikiEN-l] Naming

bobolozo bobolozo at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 30 13:28:47 UTC 2007

--- ikiroid <ikiroid at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm wondering the value of presenting one's identity
> vs. using a pseudonym.
> Sites such as meatball advocate the use of true
> names, but Essjay did have a
> point in one of his observations that using a real
> name can leave an editor
> more vulnerable. Does anyone believe wikipedia
> should lean more towards one
> of the two sides?

Requring people to use their real names, as
Citizendium is trying to do, would be a terrible idea,
and a monumental failure as a policy, as Citizendium
is about to find out.

A huge percentage of editors would leave, or would
never sign up in the first place, and of those who do
give their name, a sizable percentage would be fake.

Our policy should be that people who want to give
their real name should be free to do so.