[WikiEN-l] BLP - a case study

charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Thu Mar 29 19:23:54 UTC 2007

"Oldak Quill" wrote

> On 29/03/07, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:
> > Marc Riddell wrote:

> > >I agree. And the key word, I believe, that should guide any Article on any
> > >person - living or dead - is RESPECT.

> > Exactly.  That's much better than basing a distinction on the simple
> > fact that the dead can't sue.

> > Ec

> Respect is too vague and variable a notion for a multicultural venture
> like Wikipedia to base policy on.

Certainly. While the dead cannot themselves sue, read [[Julian Bell]] for the high-profile case of [[Hong Ying]]; in which a Chinese court found that the dead could be defamed (by a work of fiction).

We have _never_ allowed general arguments on respectfulness to condition what we will allow in enWP.

Charles