[WikiEN-l] Daniel Brandt & other banned users posting still

Silas Snider swsnider at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 18:57:39 UTC 2007

On 3/28/07, Denny Colt <wikidenny at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/28/07, Oldak Quill <oldakquill at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Isn't this list for such discussions? I was under the impression that
> > you were asking for a clarification or specification of policy?
>

> I was and am. I was just re-reverted for removing the Brandt comments on his
> talk page, and RV'd it back out again. I don't want to get into an edit war
> on this, but I don't understand why out-of-policy permission is granted to
> banned users to freely post under their own name.
>

> You are right to say that there are other mechanisms (and that we
> > should encourage the use of these), but if the user uses the on-wiki
> > method, I don't see why we should ignore their suggestions for the
> > sake of maintaining policy.
> >
> > Oldak Quill (oldakquill at gmail.com)
>

> We don't have to *ignore* it, but we shouldn't interact/endorse them, or
> support them by proxy. Isn't that a policy violation to post on behalf of a
> banned user? Isn't reposting a banned users contribution... the same thing?
> Banned people can address whatever they want via OTRS, oversight, etc.
>
> I am saying that if we are going to turn a blind eye to this for the loudest
> people, we need to do it for all banned people, and put it in the policy as
> that is what practice is. If that is NOT accepted, that we don't let banned
> people post with a nudge and wink, lets say so.

I would note that this is especially important in this case, when
Daniel Brandt was banned partially for being disruptive about his own
page.

Sincerely,
Silas Snider

Silas Snider is a proud member of the Association of Wikipedians Who
Dislike Making Broad Judgements About the Worthiness of a General Category
of Article, and Who Are In Favor of the Deletion of Some Particularly Bad
Articles, but That Doesn't Mean They are Deletionist
(AWWDMBJAWGCAWAIFDSPBATDMTD) , and the Harmonious
Editing Club of Wikipedia.