[WikiEN-l] change RS/BLP etc to not say 'blogs' (was Blog Entries (Bauer fork))

William Pietri william at scissor.com
Wed Mar 28 18:53:52 UTC 2007

jayjg wrote:
> If a blog owner says something
> damaging or defamatory, and we compound that by repeating it, the odds
> of everyone being sued over it go up significantly. Organizations with
> legal advisors (e.g. newspapers, corporations) do their best to avoid
> that in the first place.

Again, I'm not talking about some random Livejournal user. I'm talking
about an expert whose opinion is relevant to the topic, even if it is
negative. Newspapers certainly do not do their best to avoid publishing
things like that just because of the risk of suit. Corporations might,
but as I said, they aren't publishing to advance public understanding;
their job is to increase shareholder value.

If you have evidence of publishers being successfully sued for
good-faith quoting of expert opinion in ways that make it obvious that
it is not fact but opinion, please let us know.

Thanks,

William