[WikiEN-l] BLP - a case study

Marc Riddell michaeldavid86 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 28 16:15:01 UTC 2007

on 3/28/07 10:27 AM, Andrew Gray at shimgray at gmail.com wrote:

> Basically, we have an issue with the biographies of living people
> where - by the simple act of repeating published and verifiable
> information - we can give a vastly misleading impression about them;
> we report their drunk-driving conviction at 19 in the same tone and
> length as we report their Nobel prize. Oh, it's verifiable and true...
> but should we be publishing it? Editorial common sense says, perhaps,
> no.

My own thinking begins with why is the person being included in the
encyclopedia in the first place? Was it because of their work in a
particular field? - Contributions to the world at large? - Notorious acts of
criminal behavior? What? Let the substance of the Article be guided by these
criteria.

And, if other publications wish to publish personal information, so be it;
that is their purpose for being - let WP stay with it's own.

Another thought: After this person dies would it then be fair game to add
all of the personal stuff? And, would it now be OK to do so? And if so, why
so?

Marc Riddell