[WikiEN-l] change RS/BLP etc to not say 'blogs' (was Blog Entries (Bauer fork))

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Wed Mar 28 16:09:23 UTC 2007

jayjg wrote:
> Blogs are *by definition* public diaries, almost always maintained by
> individuals as expressions of their personal views. In contrast,
> websites in general are often maintained by news organizations, other
> publications, corporations, universities, non-profit organizations,
> etc. The number of general websites having some sort of editorial
> oversight is vastly higher than the number of blogs having some sort
> of editorial oversight.

Could you cite that?

The problem here IMO is that we're trying to prohibit sources that are
unreliable self-published vanity twaddle and we're using the word "blog"
as a shorthand to describe that sort of source. The result is a
significant number of editors who take this literally and conclude that
all blogs must therefore fit the bill, skipping the part where they
critically evaluate the individual sources. It may well be a very tiny
baby in a vast sea of bathwater but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be
looking for ways to avoid throwing it out.