[WikiEN-l] BLP - a case study

Oldak Quill oldakquill at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 15:49:03 UTC 2007

On 28/03/07, Andrew Gray <shimgray at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2) OK, now, although Dr Smith isn't that notable to a world-wide
> encyclopedia, he is fairly notable in  Smalltown NSW, where he once
> served as an alderman. So the Smalltown Gazette runs the divorce
> story. Now, do we include it? If we do, we are responsible for taking
> a local story to global level - we are essentially promoting it.
> Usually, if Dr Smith moves to NZ, people will only know of his shining
> academic career - not his divorce. But if it makes Wikipedia - it will
> follow him about. Perhaps we should exclude information based only on
> local press from BLP sourcing.

I agree with Mgm on this one.

Presumably the Wikipedian who adds this information accesses Smalltown
Gazette online. Having put the article online, Smalltown Gazette has
made the information available to anyone who cares to look for it. It
has already been taken "to [a] global level".

--
Oldak Quill (oldakquill at gmail.com)