[WikiEN-l] Blog Entries (Bauer fork)

Philip Sandifer snowspinner at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 13:21:15 UTC 2007

On Mar 28, 2007, at 2:42 AM, Travis Mason-Bushman wrote:

> What we write appears on one of the most popular Internet sites in the
> world, and there is a moral and ethical imperative for us to be
> responsible
> and prudent when talking about real people. Yes, that means
> accepting only
> sources which are clearly reliable to support information of a
> negative
> nature.

Sure. No problem. So here's my question. Why is Teresa Nielsen
Hayden, the former managing editor for the biggest science fiction
publishing imprint on the US, ever an unreliable source for a
question about publishing? Or, put another way, what is it about
Movable Type that somehow corrupts her words when her speaking the
exact same text aloud at a transcribed lecture or in an interview
would be OK?

This is not a matter of us using a fansite. This is a case of us
using a source that should, by any standard whatsoever, be an
acceptable source for issues related to publishing, and should in
fact be considered a positively excellent source for issues related
to publishing science fiction and fantasy. If BLP forbids the use of
this source, BLP has moved from useful to paranoia.

-Phil