[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia, the encylopedia that anyone can't edit

Daniel P. B. Smith wikipedia2006 at dpbsmith.com
Wed Mar 28 10:09:21 UTC 2007

> bobolozo wrote:
>> We now have about 1500 articles in
>> Category:Semi-protected, which new editors and IP
>> addresses can't edit.  I picked a few at random, and
>> most I checked were entirely uncontroversial articles
>> which had briefly had some trouble from an IP address,
>> which was over months ago and there was no reason to
>> believe it would ever occur again.
>>
>> This is in violation of one of our basic principles.

What basic principle is that? I thought Wikipedia's basic principles
were a) to be free (as in freedom), and b) to be an encyclopedia.
Everything else is a means to that end, not a "basic principle."

Anyone _can_ edit any Wikipedia article, because anyone can create an
account. And the account name can be pseudonymous.

And, anyone _can_ edit any WIkipedia article, because they are all
licensed under the GFDL. What they cannot do is:

Edit a Wikipedia article
--without creating an account
--and host that edited version
--on the Wikipedia website