[WikiEN-l] On a lighter note for a change

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 00:39:33 UTC 2007

On 3/27/07, Avi <avi_wiki at yahoo.com> wrote:

  We are quoted in this month's issue of Focus, the Mathematical Association of America's newsletter, on page 5, for bringing a source for the term "spline".

  PDF link here:  http://www.maa.org/pubs/march07web.pdf

I fear we at wikipedia, and consequently that MAA article as well has it wrong. I rather suspect that splines were used already by folks copying illustrated manuscripts way back int the day, well before aeronautics had significantly progressed beyond flapping wing mechanisms.