[WikiEN-l] blogs vs websites - (was Bauer DRV question - history)

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Mar 28 00:14:47 UTC 2007

Guettarda wrote:

>The issue is self-published sources.  It's really the same if you blog or it
>you use a vanity press.  It's the preponderance of blogs that causes them to
>be singled out. It's a readily available medium, and anyone can register a
>blog and spout off on whatever topic they want.  The main issue is "be
>careful with self-published material"...whether it is a blog, a non-blog
>webpage, or a book published by a vanity press.

Being careful is key.  I have a large number of book(let)s on philately
and postal history.  A significant proportion of these were privately
published by the author out of a genuine interest in the subject, and
there is no question of controversy.  The one that I have in front of me
now was limited printing of 65 copies.  Similar situations arise in
relation to many local histories.  If we waited for professional
historians to review this material we would never be able to use any of it.

Ec