[WikiEN-l] Bauer DRV question - history (was Wikimedia Foundation sued)

Philip Sandifer snowspinner at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 14:08:17 UTC 2007

On Mar 27, 2007, at 8:21 AM, Cary Bass wrote:

> Blog entries are bad sources and BLP violations.  They should never be
> used as source material in a biography.  They are not news.  A great
> portion of this article was derived and sourced from blog entries.
> The
> history was restored and has been available again for some hours.

I really wish the Office representatives would stop advocating
flagrantly bad sourcing practices.

The blog, in this case, is a blog from one of the most important
editors in science fiction and fantasy. Her words do not suddenly
become lower quality sources because she typed them through Blogger
first.

There are a horde of people who will take this statement and attempt
to apply it to the letter, and in the process break a bunch of
articles. Really, guys. Choose your words more carefully and think.
It's like nobody up there has even read the numerous discussions of
the problems with citation/sourcing fever we've had here.

-Phil