[WikiEN-l] Bauer DRV question - history (was Wikimedia Foundation sued)

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 09:58:04 UTC 2007

> >> I don't see any particular problem with that.  The Admins know what they
> >> are doing.
> >

> > ... woah.
> >
> > That's quite the statement.  We've apparently come quite far from the idea
> > that adminship is no big deal.  Not that I have a problem with that, per se,
> > but telling non-admins to trust "the Admins" with policy decisions is
> > something that seems a major departure from previous practice here.
>
> We are talking about very rare cases.  The particular case in question
> is quite remarkable.
>
> We have a choice: WP:OFFICE where actions are carried out by single
> staff members or by me personally (which does not scale, and carries
> with it enormous risks of bias), or relaxing just a little bit and
> trusting the community of admins to oversee each other.
>
> What is NOT a choice is keeping vicious crap up on the site while people
> discuss it.  There's no point to that.

I completely agree, however you should probably have phrased it
better. Only allowing admins to decide on matters like this *is* a
problem, however, it is a lesser problem than that of letter everyone
see potentially libellous content. Saying it wasn't a problem at all
gave people the wrong impression.