[WikiEN-l] Citizendium to launch this week

Oskar Sigvardsson oskarsigvardsson at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 08:39:39 UTC 2007

On 3/26/07, Vee <vee.be.me at gmail.com> wrote:
> From the forum:
>
> Larry Sanger: "The conclusion you are trying to establish is that we cannot
> relicense our versions of Wikipedia articles with GFDL and CC.  Why not?
> Does the GFDL explicitly forbid licensing works under another license in
> addition?"
>
> Is he seriously suggesting that they can basically just license our works
> under whatever license they please as long as they also license it under the
> GFDL?
>
> I can't believe they've gone 'live' without even sorting out basic copyright
> issues... CZ is a joke.

It's baffling that the founder of this project has only a cursory
knowledge of copyright, less than an experienced wikipedia editor.

However, what bothers me the most isn't necessarily the legalities,
but the ethics of what they are doing. Wikipedia is a proud member of
the free content movement, and we give our content away for free for
others to use. We believe it is The Right Thing to Do. We didn't have
to do it, but we did. They would like to take that content that we
produced, modify it slightly, and then not release their content in
the same way we have. Even though we did the majority of the work.

It's an absolute disgrace. The contributors to Citizendium should feel
ashamed about what their founder and fellow editors are saying. I know
I would, if I were in that situation.

--Oskar