[WikiEN-l] U.S. Intelligence uses Wikipedia

Sherool jamydlan at online.no
Sat Mar 24 12:52:47 UTC 2007

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 22:25:24 +0100, George Herbert
<george.herbert at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/22/07, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
>> As long as they keep saying "According the Wikipedia" then I guess
>> it's a good thing. If they start stating it as fact then the world is
>> in a lot of trouble... (or, a lot *more* trouble, if you prefer).
>
> Have no fear.  They have whole departments whose job it is to ensure
> that data's source and credibility are properly noted.
>
> Most of the people at intelligence agencies spend far, far more time
> analyzing data than gathering it, and the data source and credibility
> are important.

I think the whole Iraqi WMD fiasco showed that no amount of quality
asurance by the intelligence agencies will prevent politicials from giving
undue weight to the sources that provide information they want to hear,
regardles of the credebility of said source...

--
[[:en:User:Sherool]]