[WikiEN-l] Radical redefinition of OR

Guy Chapman aka JzG guy.chapman at spamcop.net
Sat Mar 24 10:40:37 UTC 2007

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 20:48:24 -0800, Ray Saintonge
<saintonge at telus.net> wrote:

>The lawsuit here is not a matter of having been so unfortunate as to be
>caught driving drunk pure and simple.  The issues relate to how Langan
>presents himself to the world in relation to those issues and
>organizations which make him encyclopedic and/or notable.  The
>references to the judgements may very well havew come from his opponents
>in the case, but that is not the same as systematically sifting through
>court records to find dirt on the guy

Here is the problem: Langan and his wife have edited Wikipedia
disruptively and have been sanctioned for it by ArbCom, they are also
experienced in forum shopping.  The Mega Society people have also
edited Wikipedia disruptively, and have expended considerable energy
in trying to promote their society.  They have also used Wikipedia to
pursue their vendetta against Langan - and probably vice-versa, though
I have not seen that myself.

That means that every addition and every removal brings at least the
suspicion of outside influence by POV-pushers.  I am very much with
the "plague on both their houses" camp on this one.

The lawsuit appears important only to the two parties, nobody else.
And the presentation here has all the hallmarks of being the work of
the Mega Society guys, so it's very easy to see why it would be
removed.

However... it was not added by them, it was added by FeloniousMonk.
Felonious is one of the good guys and I generally agree with him.  I
think he may have a slight tendency to resist removal of sourced
controversy (and this *was* sourced, as we all know) because he does
not like Wikipedia being used as a publisher of hagiography.  There
was an arbitration case relating to WebEx and Min Zhu where we crossed
swords over this, but in the end his behaviour was so reasonable that
I can't bring myself to criticise him for it :-)

Ultimately, I think we should wait until we have some external sources
*for the importance of the case*.  As it stands, it looks to me as if
only Langan, the Mega Society pushers and a few Wikipedia editors
actually give a damn about it.  And that says "undue weight" to me.

Guy (JzG)
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:JzG