[WikiEN-l] [Possible spam]Re: BJAODN

Silas Snider swsnider at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 21:22:37 UTC 2007

On 3/23/07, Guy Chapman aka JzG <guy.chapman at spamcop.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 10:14:40 -0800, "Silas Snider"
> <swsnider at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> It promotes the idea that we celebrate childish vandalism.  What is
> >> good about that, exactly?
> ><snip />
>
> >Actually, it promotes the idea that we are willing to recognize humor
> >where it lies -- note that your definition of most of it as childish
> >is inherently subjective -- I often find the humor of the people
> >around me 'childish'. Since they are more mature than I, I must assume
> >that it is a problem with me rather than them.
>
> >Remember that one oft cited complaint about bureaucracy is that it is humorless.
>
> No, I have no problem at all with humour.  Or humor.  As long as it is
> actually funny - but 99% of what's on the BJAODN pages is not. Not
> even remotely so.
<snip/>

This was the other point of my email: Who are you (and I mean this
without acrimony) to decide what is and what is not funny? What are
your credentials in this area? Sure, I find some of BJAODN to be
humorless, gross or juvenile, but I don't think that this allows me to
tell other people that that thing they are laughing at is not funny.
If you don't like the humor contained in BJAODN, just stay away from
that page, or create your own 'humorful' version in your userspace.

Sincerely,
Silas Snider

Silas Snider is a proud member of the Association of Wikipedians Who
Dislike Making Broad Judgements About the Worthiness of a General Category
of Article, and Who Are In Favor of the Deletion of Some Particularly Bad
Articles, but That Doesn't Mean They are Deletionist
(AWWDMBJAWGCAWAIFDSPBATDMTD) , and the Harmonious
Editing Club of Wikipedia.