[WikiEN-l] NBC's story on Wikipedia

Daniel R. Tobias dan at tobias.name
Fri Mar 23 04:04:19 UTC 2007

On 22 Mar 2007 at 19:28, Fastfission <fastfission at gmail.com> wrote:

> There seems to have developed a rather stock story about Wikipedia.
> You'd think these journalists would want to present something at least
> a little bit interesting, maybe unique, but they all seem to go back
> to the, "And then I put in false information! Look, even I could do
> it! Ha!" and end it there. I'm not sure if they are really all
> imbeciles, or if they just assume their audience is made up of
> imbeciles, but it is sad to say the least. When I wrote for the high
> school newspaper we had higher standards than that.
[top-posting/fullquoting snipped]

Wikipedia is hardly the first thing that has spawned a "stock story"
that journalists use repeatedly.  For decades now, coverage of
anything pertaining to comic books has gone into predictable molds
like "Bam! Pow! Zap! Comics aren't just for kids any more!" or "Biff!
Sock! Boom! Old comics are worth big bucks!"

--
== Dan ==