[WikiEN-l] NBC's story on Wikipedia

SonOfYoungwood at aol.com SonOfYoungwood at aol.com
Thu Mar 22 23:13:06 UTC 2007

I was very disappointed with the story for several reasons:

1. I understand that they only have a few minutes to cover this story, but
the story was one-sided for the most part. What was the "erroneous"
information?  Was it a date? A whole paragraph? Some vandalism? Also, did the professor
even  bother fixing it? Otherwise, he has no right to complain about an
encyclopedia  that anyone can edit.

2. The reporter demonstrated how vandalism works without even mentioning  the
thousands of people who spend hours and hours each day reverting nonsense
and issuing blocks. I always thought the press was supposed to be somewhat
balanced.

3. I am glad they mentioned the fact that people should not be using this  in
a paper in most situations. They got that right, but they singled out
Wikipedia without mentioning that encyclopedias AS A WHOLE are not good sources  for
papers.