[WikiEN-l] Just what *is* Jimbo's role anyway?

Sheldon Rampton sheldon at prwatch.org
Wed Mar 21 09:08:03 UTC 2007

Jimmy Wales wrote:

> Well, Sheldon, this assumes that the Foundation has authority
> *over* the
> community, which the Foundation more or less denies.  So whatever
> corporate powers I have or don't have are likely quite different from
> whatever powers our community traditions give me.
>
> Several board members have made it quite clear that they don't
> intend to
> interfere with that one way or the other.

Again, turning to the bylaws: "The majority of the Board shall be
elected or appointed from within the community," but "'Community' as
used in the Bylaws, shall be defined by the Board, consistent with
the mission statement."

This seems to say that the ultimate power in Wikipedia resides with
the community, as you stated. Somewhat paradoxically, however, the
Board has the power to define the community. In theory this could
lead to a situation where the board defined the community in such a
way as to manipulate the outcome of elections to produce
unrepresentative outcomes. In practice it most likely means that
ultimate power now resides with a broad-based community of
Wikipedians who elect the board to represent them.

The fact that the current board assents to the current definition of
Jimbo's powers does not mean that future boards will continue to do
so. It's possible (again in theory, and I see no sign of it
happening) that the community could elect board members who choose to
do otherwise.

For the record, I'm not in any way advocating that they do so. The
point here is simply to define from whence your powers derive.

As for the question of whether the Foundation has authority over the
community, of course the Foundation doesn't have any ability to tell
any of us what to do. However, it *does* control the physical assets
of Wikipedia, including the servers. If it chose to do so, it could
shut the site down and fire the staff, and the community would have
to try to reconstitute itself elsewhere.

Again, I'm not advocating that this happen, nor do I think that it is
even remotely likely.

The main point here (on which I think you and I agree) is that
Stevertigo's description of you as a "monarch" with "unlimited
powers" is no longer accurate. Whether your powers derive from the
board or from "community traditions," they now derive from some
source other than actual ownership of Wikipedia. Moreover, if your
powers derive from community traditions, it is paradoxical (to put it
politely) for Stevertigo to suggest that the community should refrain
from publicly discussing how your powers are defined. Is he just
being a troll, or what?