[WikiEN-l] Just what *is* Jimbo's role anyway?

Sheldon Rampton sheldon at prwatch.org
Wed Mar 21 07:52:34 UTC 2007

Stevertigo wrote:

> But the
> fact is that until Jimbo decides otherwise, he is the reigning
> monarch.

He already HAS decided otherwise, by creating the Wikimedia
Foundation and transferring the assets of Wikipedia from his private
company to the foundation. The Wikimedia Foundation's bylaws clearly
state, "All corporate powers shall be exercised by or under the
authority of, and the business and affairs of the Foundation shall be
managed under, the direction of the Board of Trustees. ... The act of
the majority of the Trustees present at a meeting at which a quorum
is present shall be the act of the Board of Trustees." Moreover, "Any
Trustee may be removed by a majority vote of the full membership of
the Board."

In short, Jimbo's powers only exist insofar as they are granted to
him by the full board of directors of the Wikimedia Foundation, on
which he only holds one seat. Moreover, the other trustees could
remove him from the board if they so chose. If it were their desire
to do so, in fact, they could impose limits on his powers up to and
including banning him entirely from editing Wikipedia.

This does not mean, of course, that he has no powers. It merely means
that his powers are derived from (and therefore limited by) the
consent of the full board of the foundation, which chooses to grant
him certain powers based on the trust he has accumulated through his
history as a leader of the project. If, however, a dispute were to
arise over the question of who has ultimate power, there is little
doubt that a court of law would rule in favor of the board.

In short: The king is dead. Long live Jimbo!