[WikiEN-l] Just what *is* Jimbo's role anyway?

stevertigo stvrtg at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 01:48:19 UTC 2007

Steve Bennett wrote:
> I don't see how a private discusson can resolve a public confusion,
> unless I was to report the results of that "private" discussion
> afterwards.

Privacy is an outward indication of respect. Jimbo of course deserves
respect just like any other community member. Moreso even. Hence these
public discussions about a good person and outstanding leader have the
appearance of being personal attacks. Though thats probably not your
intent, people in the core community cannot rule that out.

On 3/20/07, Stephen Bain <stephen.bain at gmail.com> wrote:
> At English Wikipedia level, he has an informal status as a leader
> among the community. Historically - as a leader in the community - he
> exercised various functions (arbitration, for example) until those
> functions were delegated down (to the ArbCom, for example).

Its important to understand that Jimbo has a well defined
discretionary powers over the ArbCom. He has never used them though,
just as the Queen of England has never "disbanded Parliament".

-Stevertigo