[WikiEN-l] Inconvenience

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 01:20:34 UTC 2007

On 3/21/07, wikipedia2006 at dpbsmith.com <wikipedia2006 at dpbsmith.com> wrote:
> It's known as "work." Writing is work. Writing an encyclopedia is work.

Wikipedia works because it disguises work as fun. If you act like a
mean-spirited boss, or turn contributing to Wikipedia into real work,
the fun will go out. No fun, no Wikipedia.

It's the whole essence of Wikipedia and wikis in general. Person A
likes writing stubs, person B likes finding sources, and person C
likes categorising. Individually, none can produce a satisfactory
stub. But the three of them - with no collaboration whatsoever, and no
"work' - produce one. Magic, isn't it?

> Why is it any more "convenient" to do this in the main article space than in your own user space?

Articles belong in article space.

> I call this rehearsing in front of the audience.

Wikipedia is a work in progress. Your analogy is perfect.

> I call this running out into the street naked and telling the policeman "But I was just about to put my clothes on."

Heh. WP:NOT safe for minors.

Steve