[WikiEN-l] purpose served by anonymity / unmoderated

Bennett Haselton bennett at peacefire.org
Tue Mar 20 20:54:12 UTC 2007

I think this idea would indeed get most of the best of both worlds.  People
who needed an article they could rely on could look up the most recent
version approved by a credentialed source, and make up their own minds
about what counts as "credentialed".  I also think that in addition to
distinguishing between users' claimed credentials, there should also be a
flag used to indicate whether someone's credentials have been verified, by
for example sending a confirmation mail to their .edu address.

With regard to people's concerns about a backlog of changes that need to be
approved, hopefully this would only be an issue for articles about current
events where new information is constantly coming out.  I would hope that
the article on Physics wouldn't change much as the laws are thought to be
fairly permanent :)

The only issue this wouldn't resolve would be whether the default article,
the "one that everyone sees", would be the bleeding-edge one or the latest
approved one.  Unfortunately, the instant gratification that people get
from seeing their helpful edits go live immediately, is the same that the
vandals get from seeing *their* edits go live immediately, so it would seem
there's no best-of-both-worlds compromise, because unless the software can
distinguish between helpful edits and vandalism, you can't have one without
the other.  So the question is whether the motivational effect for helpful
editors outweighs the motivational effect for vandals.  It sounds like
George is saying that dealing with vandals is a major time-waster, and
people on the Citizendium boards see the same problem.

Personally I don't know why people would be less motivated to make edits
that would go live after 1 hour, rather than go live immediately.  I
wouldn't look at it that way, especially if I knew that the reason for the
delay was to prevent vandalism and increase the usefulness of the reference
to everybody.  I might actually be more motivated to make edits if I
thought that the article was being edited by someone who was putting their
own credibility on the line, and thus would prevent someone *else* from
frivolously overwriting my changes.

         -Bennett