[WikiEN-l] User space needs to be more clearly marked

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Tue Mar 20 16:07:30 UTC 2007

Thomas Dalton wrote:
>> As I said, in some cases (usually where I already know a lot about the
>> subject) I start the stub _before_ I go reading stuff. So that would be
>> impossible.
>
> That's exactly what people are meant to be not doing. You shouldn't be
> writing based on your own knowledge, you should be writing based on
> reliable sources. What's the points of writing from your own knowledge
> if you have to go and check a reliable source anyway? Just check the
> source first...

I've already explained what the point is, sometimes I find it convenient
to throw down a framework before I start digging into sources. If I'm
"not supposed to do it" and yet it still results in good articles being
written, perhaps there's something wrong with having a rule against it
(assuming we actually do)? And I certainly have no intention of changing
my approach just because you personally don't prefer to do it that way.