[WikiEN-l] User space needs to be more clearly marked

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Tue Mar 20 15:45:51 UTC 2007

Thomas Dalton wrote:
>> I can recall on several occasions starting a quick stub article on
>> something based off of general information I already knew and then later
>> on came back with more detailed information and sources after I'd
>> researched a little. I guess I've just been lucky so far that CSD
>> fundamentalists haven't caught me at it.
>
> What's the point of that? It would be better to wait until you've
> found the sources before you start writing, otherwise you may be
> adding incorrect information.

Maybe for you, but my approach works just fine for me thanks. I find it
convenient to have an existing structure on which to hang new
information. If some of the information I thought I knew turns out to be
incorrect I can fix it later, and I'll also know at that point that
perhaps I should mention that it's a common misconception.

If the end result is still the same article, what's the problem? You
write articles however you like and I'll write them however I like.

> Citing sources should be easy because they should be the actual source
> of the information, which you will already know since it's whatever
> you just finished reading.

As I said, in some cases (usually where I already know a lot about the
subject) I start the stub _before_ I go reading stuff. So that would be
impossible.