[WikiEN-l] Fwd: ASINs and ISBNs

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 22:06:36 UTC 2007

Hello all. This was posted back in August 2005, but sadly has not been
kept by the list archives; we have a gap of a dozen days or so, and
whilst the end of this thread survives, anything before the 21st
August is lost.

http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikien-l/2005-August/thread.html

The topic in question has arisen again, and I wanted the opportunity
to quote this, so I'm forwarding it back to the list so I have a
citable source to point to. I promise I'm not just making it up... :-)

If anyone is interested, the current discussion is at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Administrators%27_noticeboard#Amazon
- basically, are Amazon internal catalogue IDs a useful and sensible
piece of data to give as a reference? As may be apparent I swing
towards HELL NO, but YMMV...