[WikiEN-l] Primary schools - notability

Philip Sandifer snowspinner at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 02:05:34 UTC 2007

On Mar 17, 2007, at 6:39 PM, Oskar Sigvardsson wrote:

> Shakespeare lived 500 years ago, Fibonacci 800, and Augustus Ceasar
> more than 2000 years ago. Their notability has nothing to do with
> culture, not only our culture but the entire world has changed
> dramatically since then.
>
> Let's say that these three guys are completely forgotten in a century.
> Would that take away their notability? Of course not. Their influence
> on the world has been so dramatic that they have forever earned their
> place in the pantheon of greatness that we call
> [[Category:Biography]].

The last paragraph is, of course, ludicrous - if they're completely
forgotten in a century then the Wikipedia of 2107 shouldn't have an
article on them. We should, because they are very much remembered.

The important thing to recognize here is that notability is still
socially determined - as is clearly evidenced by the tendency to use
"notable" and "encyclopedic" as synonyms. Surely encyclopedicness
isn't objective - it's the very definition of subjective, in that it
depends entirely on the judgment of encyclopedias, and thus, by
extension, on subjective human judgment.

It's easy to reject this as needlessly philosophical, but I don't
think it is. Quite the contrary, I think it's absolutely vital to our
understanding of how the selection of articles for encyclopedias is
done. There's not a standard that's external to encyclopedia-writing
for these things. It's a judgment call. To claim that there is some
external and objective source from which notability derives is to
remove human judgment from the equation.

-Phil