[WikiEN-l] Vandalism going public yet again

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 18:12:09 UTC 2007

On 16/03/07, Avi <avi_wiki at yahoo.com> wrote:
>  Another case of wiki vandalism that made headlines:
>
>  http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070316/ap_on_en_ot/people_sinbad
>
>  Count me in as one of those who thinks that we may need a PR blitz as to 1) How wiki works 2) What vandalism is 3) A training brochure in basic wiki use. (check histories and editors, etc.)

It's an interesting case. Some seemed to be forwarding links to the
specific vandalised revision - which has happened before - but most
were just forwarding a cut-and-pasted version of the vandalised
article, without any obvious links.

Which is, um. I mean, I could copy and paste [[George W. Bush]], add
"is gay" in the intro, and forward it around. And we'd still have
people assuming it came from us just because it said so...

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk