[WikiEN-l] Why cutting'n'pasting from Wikipedia is not a good idea

Guy Chapman aka JzG guy.chapman at spamcop.net
Thu Mar 15 21:45:38 UTC 2007

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 10:49:21 -0800, Ray Saintonge
<saintonge at telus.net> wrote:

>I find this attempt to give admins even more power objectionable.  There
>are plenty of us who have been around for a long time without having
>become admins.  Many operate in limited non-controversial areas.  The
>result would be a huge number of articles that will need to be edited by
>admins; these articles previously managed quite well without involvement
>of admins.

I agree.  As an idea, giving content powers to admins sucks badly.  I
hardly get to write any content these days, for which I can only blame
myself, and I am certainly no more authoritative an editor (often much
less authoritative) than anyone else.

The alternative, though, is to start going down the route of
editcountitis or verifiable expertise, neither of which is
particularly attractive either.  Or featured article style reviews
(bring shrubberies) or the ludicrous pretence which is the Good
Article system.  All suck.

I suspect this is why stable versions has not happened yet...

Guy (JzG)
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:JzG