[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia as a primary source

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 07:05:42 UTC 2007

On 3/14/07, Bryan Derksen <bryan.derksen at shaw.ca> wrote:
> The reference to Meta was being rejected on account of it being
> unreliable and on account of it being a "self-reference" (which IMO is
> not a correct interpretation of the manual of style guideline against
> self-reference, it's intended simply to keep Wikipedia's contents
> location-neutral in case someone else hosts it). Even the old [[WP:RS]]
> guideline explicitly allows this sort of thing; "Self-published
> material, whether published online or as a book or pamphlet, may be used
> as a primary source of information about the author or the material
> itself, so long as there is no reasonable doubt who wrote the material"

The self-ref rule in this case basically should be interpreted as
"don't give that diff special authority just because it was made on
Wikipedia".[1] Would you have accepted a diff made on pokemonwiki.com
by a user who seriously appeared to be her? (a serious question)

Steve
[1] Though I guess since she's a Wikipedia user, perhaps there is a
special authority due to it being her "home ground" so to speak.