[WikiEN-l] 10 Things You Did Not Know About Wikipedia

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 16:41:51 UTC 2007

On 3/14/07, Simetrical <Simetrical+wikilist at gmail.com> wrote:
> want to be blocked or desysopped.  I think this was made pretty clear
> by the pedophilia userbox thing, where people who reversed what he did
> were summarily desysopped, and it took a day or two of arguing with
> him to get him to undo a block that seemed to pretty clearly not have
> consensus (as I recall the incident).

I seem to recall the situation as mass confusion over whether the
actions taken were "official" (err, "office"-ial) or not. But yeah,
effectively, people (well, one person) were desysopped for opposing
him. Even if they didn't actually mean to oppose him. And then the
situation was clarified and the Ewoks danced.

All of which served to reinforce the notion that Jimbo's role is
clearly a very special one, and not merely the "voice of the people"
idea suggested earlier.

Steve