[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia:Paid editing

William Pietri william at scissor.com
Tue Mar 13 05:49:11 UTC 2007

Hi, folks. Thanks for the many interesting comments on this.
Unfortunately I just got pulled into a new client project, so I don't
have time to reply to them all in the detail they deserve, but I'm going
to try to address the broad themes. Apologies in advance for the monster
post, but I'm hoping that putting it all together is less irksome than 6
or 8 semi-overlapping replies in various threads.

My basic notion is that rather than being open to paid editing and see
where it goes (which is the general spirit of Wikipedia) we should
forbid it generally and make specific exceptions where we see a clear
need to let it happen. For you router geeks, it's "default deny" rather
than "default allow". I know this is the opposite of the way we normally
do things, but I think there are important reasons to go against the grain.

The first one is that for-pay editing will introduce a new sort of
systemic bias. We're already biased toward the kinds of things that
first-world, computer-savvy people are interested in. Allowing paid
editing will introduce a new bias, which is toward information that
people can profit from having the public believe. Given that
advertising, marketing, and PR account for $500 billion annually in the
US alone, there is a lot of information like that.

The second is that I believe it will be a substantial net loss of
volunteer time. We already spend a fair bit of time cleaning up after
vandals and spammers, and a lot of energy is wasted on arguing with
kooks. Any information or resources that commercial interests have to
offer can happily be put on the talk page, where a neutral editor can
use it to fashion an article. I think any additional value gained from
paid conflict-of-interest edits will be outweighed by the cleanup and
eternal argument that professional PR and advertising people will generate.

Third, even the suspicion of distorted coverage will harm Wikipedia's
image. This is a lesson that journalists, academics, and politicians all
get to learn on a regular basis, one scandal at a time. We should take a
page from their books and adopt firm rules to forbid even the appearance
of systematic distortion of our articles.

Fourth, we have a one-time opportunity to prevent the emergence of
people who make a full-time living from spamming Wikipedia. All of the
major Internet-borne waves of spam only really took off when people
started to do it professionally. Once they had a foothold, they had a
platform that let them stay just far enough in ahead in the arms race to
survive and keep up their Porche payments. By adopting a firm stance
against paid editing now, we remove the gray area that will spawn our
own Sanford Wallace or Scott Richter.

Fifth, eliminating the gray area will save a lot of headache for all
concerned. That $500 billion a year is spent on professional POV
warriors. The good ones are just as tenacious and tricky as lawyers,
except they aren't constrained by any certifying body or serious
professional code of ethics. I say this with no disrespect; I have
friends who do sales, PR, and marketing for a living, and it's amazing
to watch them work. But they will not get what we are about here, not
when they are being paid not to get it. Any gray area will be room for
endless argument and struggle.

And the biggest reason I have a bee in my bonnet about this is that that
given modest funding, I believe I could successfully game the system
sufficiently to justify high client fees. Per WP:BEANS, I'll keep quiet
about how, but as somebody who does a fair bit of vandal patrol and
keeps an eye on contentious articles, I'm pretty sure it's doable and
sustainable. This is the only way I can think of to keep the market
small enough to avoid that.

Now I know people have a few specific objections, all very reasonable.
Let me quickly reply to them:

 From charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com: "We need to get corporations on
our side, not to be in a perpetual state of war with them."

I don't think it has to be war. Most companies understand and respect
the ethical barriers that constrain journalists. If we draw a similar
line while providing them with similar opportunities to give us
information so that we can tell their side of the story fairly, they
will accept that. There will be exceptions, and we will deal with them
like we do with other transgressors: first with velvet, then with steel.

 From Steve Bennett: "There is a world of difference between someone
attempting to expand or improve a subject field, for remuneration, and
someone repeatedly working on the perceived bias of one particular article."

I agree, and I think that if we are especially clever, we can find
specific exemptions that allow the former while forbidding the latter
without any room for gaming. The mechanism I proposed is having all
money go through the Wikimedia Foundation, letting them serve as what
journalists call the Chinese Wall, preventing conflict of interest from
flowing along with the money.

 From Jeff Raymond: "Right, so why be so firm about trying to discourage
[paid editing]?"

For the same reason that journalistic codes of ethics forbid anything
that might hint of a conflict of interest, even when it is innocently
given and innocently received. Because it is the top edge of a very
slippery slope, and because even the appearance of a potential problem
reduces public trust.

 From Steve Bennett again: "The only people who will be affected will be
those who bothered to have a conscience and find out that there even was
a rule."

I disagree. I think that's a false dichotomy.

On one end of the spectrum, we have people who have a solid
understanding of fairness and NPOV, people who are incorruptibly
scrupulous about avoiding conflicts of interest. On the other end, we
have the bottom-feeders and scoundrels. You're right that a no-pay rule
harms the first set (because they could be trusted anyhow) and doesn't
have much effect on the second set (because they are irredeemably bad).

But this is really aimed at the vast number of people in the middle.
They come in all sorts: people who haven't thought it through; people
who could use a few bucks; people who could be fooled by an Almeda
University into seeing us as the POV warriors; people who will fool
themselves if there's money to be made; people who think something is ok
as long as there isn't a rule against it; and especially, people who
tell themselves, "I'm just doing my job."

By consulting at a variety of companies and meeting people at
conferences, I get to talk to a lot of people about why they do what
they do. I'm convinced that most people fall into that middle. I don't
want them to have to wrestle with the subtleties of NPOV and COI when
somebody is paying them to not worry about it. I want them to have a
clear, easy-to-understand rule: don't do it. And I want it just as clear
for the people tempted to pay them.

And from a few people: "I don't like X about your proposal."

Then please do fix it! Even if you don't like the idea much, it's in all
of our interests to have the best possible proposals on each side. I'll
certainly be helping on both sides, and I'd love to see as much input as
possible both on the no-pay one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Paid_editing

and on the pay-is-ok one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Paid_editors

Thanks,

William

P.S. My sincere thanks to the people who waded all the way through this.

--
William Pietri <william at scissor.com>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:William_Pietri