[WikiEN-l] Mechanical turks (was: Re: Almeda University paying for positive Wikipedia edits)

John Vandenberg jayvdb at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 23:48:37 UTC 2007

On 3/13/07, Andrew Gray <shimgray at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/03/07, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > That's a *great* idea IMO and quite easy not to make a COI.
> >
> > Can anyone else here see a problem with this idea?
>
> Possible PR issues? "Wikimedia, which ran a donation drive only X
> months ago, is already throwing money at Amazon..."

As an alternative to improving _any_ article as Steve initially
suggested, if the MTurk Experiences and HIT templates could be set up,
individual Wikipedians could pay for the HITs regarding a specific
article that they want to see improved.  That way the existing funds
are clearly not being used and the community can get a feel for how
well it works.

As an example, I would like some nice images added to the commons and
a digitised copy of some public domain sources added to wikisource,
and would be willing to pay for someone to do the leg work so that I
can use them to improve a wikipedia article.

--
John