[WikiEN-l] Almeda University paying for positive Wikipedia edits

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 14:10:18 UTC 2007

On 3/13/07, Jake Nelson <duskwave at gmail.com> wrote:
> My thought is to require a central list, and anyone who's being paid
> to edit Wikipedia needs to be registered on that list with username,
> who's paying them to edit, and the reason that they are being paid to
> do this.

I would keep the requirements not too onerous. We *want* them to
disclose what they're doing, because they're going to do it anyway. So
ask them nicely to register themselves. Then quietly keep on eye on
them, and just revert them whenever they violate our policies,
politely.

The whole idea here is that when they turn some crappy stub into a
longer article, it may certainly be slanted towards their viewpoint.
But it's a lot easier to just deslant it, than it would have been to
write it from scratch. So we let them build it slanted - and when
they're finished, we just gently nudge it upright. They do all the
hard work. We get the benefit.

Steve