[WikiEN-l] Proposal for simplified credentials model

Guy Chapman aka JzG guy.chapman at spamcop.net
Sat Mar 10 17:42:51 UTC 2007

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 12:34:23 -0500, "Daniel P. B. Smith"
<wikipedia2006 at dpbsmith.com> wrote:

>Academic credentials are easily verified, represent disinterested
>third-party testimony, and are an imprecise but _valid_ indicator
>that the degree-holder had at one point in one's life mastered a
>certain body of knowledge for long enough to pass an exam.

Up to a point.  You'll also find that degree holders tend in the main
to be better versed in the methodology of research and citation,
although that can certainly be learned.

Looking at the average CVG article, I'd say that comp-sci students
would be an exception to that :o)

Guy (JzG)
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk