[WikiEN-l] Dealing with juvenile vandalism

Aude audevivere at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 21:41:45 UTC 2007

" Developping some kind of working arrangement with the school involved
would make more sense."  - don't think this is practical given the volume of
vandalism coming from so many different school IPs, compared to our current
level of resources. ( e.g. Wikipedians)  We can always allow students to
create accounts, so the impact on good users is minimized.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:156.3.138.6 - just blocked this one,
after they started vandalizing immediately after coming off of a block.  I
looked at a sample of edits from this IP address and don't see any positive
contributions.  Just vandalism.  There is a large {{schoolblock}} template
at the top that explains that users can create accounts and edit with
those.

Unless someone wants and can take the time to contact this school and the
numerous others, I don't see any other choice at this point.

-Aude

>I think this means I (and others) need to make blocks of school IPs be for
> >longer duration... the same for other repeat vandals.
> >
> Not at all.  That's a simplistic solution.  Such blocks would have an
> effect of blocking all users from the school, including the good ones
> who do not condone vandalism.  Developping some kind of working
> arrangement with the school involved would make more sense.  Work with
> them to identify and deal with the offenders at a local level.  Find out
> if they have local policies requiring students to log on that would lead
> to a possible identification of which users were on line at the time
> that the vandalism took place.
>
> Ec

Aude