[WikiEN-l] Proposal for simplified credentials model

Florence Devouard Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 8 12:00:09 UTC 2007

For the record, I am totally opposed to such a model.

If the english community decides to adopt it, it is the community
decision. Fine.

But the Foundation should be entirely kept away from this. There is NO
way our rare employees should have to deal with editors credentials.
Doing so would on top further fuel the belief that we are in charge,
putting us possibly at risk legally speaking.

At the same time, I believe this proposition will scare away some people
and will result in people not telling what they are educated or trained
in; having bad social consequences (people like the warm feeling of
being in the small group of """this university""" or """that
profession"""). This is I think a slippery slope toward requesting
identification for various jobs.

Whilest I would agree we neeed identification for the jobs of stewards,
checkusers and oversight, I fear the day we will request identification
and credentials for the job of admin (yes, I saw the proposition
mentionned in the press). Same for press contacts and
business/partnership contacts.

This would entirely tip the very concept of our community. Trust build
not upon someone credential but upon what the person does.

What counts is not the credential of the person, but giving a source for
a controversial content. This is not because someone has a validated phd
that he should be more reliable than another.

Last, we should stop being the valet of the press. Each time there is a
noise in the press, some feel we should respond, apology, change the way
we are doing things.

I think that is a poor way to act. What counts is the values we share
and the success we met. Not the noises done by journalists.

Anthere (for the general comments)

Florence Devouard, Chair of Wikimedia Foundation (for the statement that
the Foundation did not ask anything, will not impose that, and definitly
should stay out of that crap)