[WikiEN-l] Accountability: bringing back a proposal I made nearly 2 years ago

Sheldon Rampton sheldon at prwatch.org
Wed Mar 7 23:23:05 UTC 2007

David Gerard wrote:

> I just can't get my head around the idea of a default assumption other
> than honesty if you're going to work on an encyclopedia project.

I would have thought everyone was on the same page with that too, if
I hadn't seen a significant outpouring of support for deception in
the Essjay case. It was a case where we clearly had deliberate
deception over an extended period of time, but nevertheless people
defended it on in grounds that it was okay and even "brilliant" if it
was "just on the user page" or if it helped protect anonymity. It
appears clear therefore that some people think honesty is *not* a
"default assumption." That's what a policy should clarify. Is honesty
something we should expect always, or are there circumstances in
which it's okay to mislead?

I know this sounds odd to be discussing. It reminds me a bit of that
Seinfeld episode where George Kostanza is fired for having sex with
the cleaning lady on his office desk, and he tells his boss, "If only
I'd known this sort of thing was frowned upon..." However, we have a
very clear transcript in front of us which tells us that some people
think deception on Wikipedia user pages is okay, and if we don't
address that, this community will have learned nothing from this
whole sad episode.