[WikiEN-l] Accountability: bringing back a proposal I made nearly 2 years ago

Sheldon Rampton sheldon at prwatch.org
Tue Mar 6 21:35:00 UTC 2007

Anthony <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:

> Jimbo knew that Essjay made up false credentials when he made the
> comment that they were a pseudonym, and he has not to my knowledge
> retracted that statement.

Since Wikipedia does not currently have a policy stating that users
should be honest on their user pages, Jimbo's statement was
consistent with current policy. The question now is, how should we
deal with that? By bashing Jimbo? Or by fixing the policy?

And once again, for those who missed the point in my previous
comment, saying that users "should be honest" does NOT require anyone
to stop using anonymity, pseudonyms, humor, etc. on their user pages.
It draws a bright line between those practices and falsehoods
intended to deceive.