[WikiEN-l] Is editing for payment a fundamentally problematic conflict of interest?

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Mar 5 06:51:38 UTC 2007

Marc Riddell wrote:

>On 3/4/07, Guy Chapman wrote:
>

>>>Ask them for the sources form which this should be drawn, post them to
>>>the Talk pages, and request that the company donate the money to the
>>>Foundation.  How would that do?
>>>

>on 3/4/07 7:24 AM, MacGyverMagic/Mgm wrote:
>

>>If they are as aware of the rules as they appear to be, there's little
>>problems, but you have to be very careful with your editing. And yes, do it
>>in full disclosure. I like the idea JzG posted better though. Even good
>>editors can lose their neutrality when money is involved.
>>

>Huh!?!
>
>How would giving away the money you are paid for doing work make that work
>any more credible? What about the credibility and integrity of the person
>doing that work? Ever hear of trust!?!
>
>As for "good editors losing their neutrality when money is involved" - to
>make this statement work you need to remove the word "good".

I agree that giving this earned money to WMF as some kind of Act of
Contrition is grossly unrealistic.  By and large I find that supporters
of open access to intellectual property in its various forms have not
grasped the larger economic environment that would make this work.  The
people who contribute still to make a living, and the number of those
contributors that believe in a Marxist paradise where everyone gets what
he needs are few and far between.  Plese someone, tell me what economic
model is going to keep this all alive over an extended time.

Conflicts of Interest, and how we deal with corporations seriously need
an injection of common sense.  Is it really to our advantage to have
people declare their conflicts of interest only to be put to a series of
arcane restrictions.  Under those circumstances if I were in that
position I wouldn't declare my conflict, and just go quietly about my
work.  If another editor complains that my edits are too favorable to
the company I would have no problem apologizing quietly, knowing full
well that my more subtle biases will go by unnoticed.  With the recent
EssJay case his falsehood went undetected for nearly two years, and that
only efter he had very effectively climbed the Wikipedia social ladder.
Would a corporation's representative be more easily discovered if his
pay depended on playing the game so as not to be discovered?  The
company could even forbid him from doing anything beyond being an admin.

I really don't think that most corporate representatives who come here
to edit for their company are here to create a bias.  Most of their work
will give us uncontroversial   Who's on their board of directors.  Where
does the company have factories.  What the company produces.  A record
of the company's share prices.  The additives that a company puts in its
products.  These are all valuable types of data around which we are
notably weak.

With the relatively small part of the material that really is
controversial we will have no shortage of editors who are willing to
make the discrepancies obvious.  What are we afraid of?

Ec