[WikiEN-l] Is editing for payment a fundamentally problematic conflict of interest?

William Pietri william at scissor.com
Sun Mar 4 17:16:06 UTC 2007

Marc Riddell wrote:

>> (from the "Act Independently" section of http://www.spj.org/ethicscode.asp)
>>

>> We ignore their historically evolved and time-tested solution at our
>> great peril.
>>

> We seem to have strayed from Jaap Vermeulen's original inquiry. I still
> support his ability to receive compensation for his editing. As always, I am
> going to assume good faith.

Sorry, but I guess I wasn't clear enough.

Jaap's question is, as the subject line says, whether editing for
payment of articles related to the payee is a fundamentally problematic
conflict of interest. My answer is yes, absolutely.

Further, in many ways, we are in the same situation as journalists. Our
product only has value to the extend that we have the trust of the
public. That means that we need both to actually be trustworthy and to
avoid situations whose appearance would undermine trust. Journalists
have been wrestling with these issues for many decades, and we can and
should learn from them. That's why I posted the relevant snipped from
the SPJ ethics code.

Unfortunately, the assumption of good faith isn't relevant when making
this decision. That's a mechanism to defuse conflict and build working
relationships. Jaap is obviously acting in good faith. But I have even
talked with PR people who were spamming Wikipedia in good faith. They
honestly thought that their links and promotional text were true and
useful to readers, so there was no harm in including them. The
assumption of good faith means that we should be kind to them, to treat
them amicably, and to educate them. But it does not and must not mean
that we allow the integrity of the encyclopedia to be compromised.

By the way, Jaap, many thanks for being very public about this. A fine
demonstration not just of good faith, but good sense.

William

P.S. For those curious, I ran across a nice collection of journalistic
ethics codes:

http://www.asne.org/index.cfm?id=387

--
William Pietri <william at scissor.com>