[WikiEN-l] Is editing for payment a fundamentally problematic conflict of interest?

Jaap Vermeulen jaap.vermeulen at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 18:38:37 UTC 2007

I posted the following here -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Conflict_of_interest#Editing_for_payment:

"I have recently been approached by an organisation to improve articles
related to the organisation in question (not create new ones). I would
receive money for doing so. I am an administrator and am aware of the
policies and guidelines that govern Wikipedia. The organisation understands
that it is not acceptable to whitewash any articles and that criticism
should be included in the article. For them it is a matter of improving the
quality of the articles, not to whitewash them. Is this acceptable? Should I
decide to go ahead with this I would do so in full disclosure, since I
believe doing so without the community being aware would not be ethical,
especially since as an admin the community has placed trust in me that I
would not want to abuse."

I'd appreciate further feedback, since I'm not sure how I should proceed
here.

Jaap Vermeulen
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jacoplane