[WikiEN-l] Correction to New Yorker Article

William Pietri william at scissor.com
Sat Mar 3 21:50:53 UTC 2007

Hi, Ray. I enjoy your posts, so it pains me to disagree with you, but I
can't avoid it here. Sorry for the length of this, but I couldn't find a
way to do it and still be as clear as I wanted.

Ray Saintonge wrote:
> stvrtg wrote:
>
>> [...] Is the credibility of the site somehow diminished due to
>> one editor's mistake in misrepresenting himself? Nonsense.
>>

> I very strongly agree with stvrtg.  This has been an incredible exercise
> in making a mountain out of a molehill.  We have verifiability standards
> for article pages.  We do not have them for user pages, and it does not
> strike me as irregular that a fictitious persona would have a fictitious
> biography.  [...]
>
> [...] Now that we see "the truth" there is a massive
> rush to look for scapegoats for our own stupidity in taking such a claim
> seriously.  We need a Lord of the Flies to whom we can pay homage.
> Brilliant minds often forget how close to the surface lies the descent
> to barbarism.
>
> Should EssJay have revealed the truth about himself?  Perhaps.  But
> when?  And how should that transition be made?  I hardly see the need to
> retroactively correct all the inaccuracies of the last two years.  I see
> the real biography on Wikia as a good faith attempt to begin setting the
> record straight.  It should be viewed in that way, and not as an excuse
> for digging up every bit of dirt on EssJay for the last two years.
>
> Instead of making a mountain out of a molehill when such issues come up
> we really need a mechanism to get over it.

I would like to feel that way, but I can't. Looking at the root of this
deception, among his very first edits on Wikipedia he falsely claimed
credentials in an effort to win a content dispute. A dispute about
which, it turns out, he was wrong. Even so, had it ended there, I think
this would be more anthill than molehill.

Unfortunately, he continued, both expanding the deception and using it
in other on-WP discussions. Even there, I think we get somewhere above
the molehill size, but only modestly. Again, had he stopped here, I'd be
in the so-what camp. For me, though, it's the next three issues that
make it a pretty big deal.

First, he contacted real-world professors, representing himself as a
fellow professor and Wikipedia administrator, to advocate for Wikipedia.
He specifically suggests they look at his claimed credentials to bolster
his standing. Committing fraud (by which I mean misrepresentation for
gain) while citing his administrative position is to me a big violation
of the trust that adminship represents.

Second, he appears to have actively deceived a top reporter and a fact
checker in an on-the-record interview as a leading member of Wikipedia.
(I'm basing that on this bit: "He often takes his laptop to class, so
that he can be available to Wikipedians while giving a quiz [...]" The
reporter could have made that up and tricked the fact-checker, but I'm
going to give them the benefit of the doubt for now.) This has caused
actual harm to Wikipedia's reputation. [1] As well, you can bet that any
journalist who has done a Wikipedia story quoting an anonymous user
broke out in a cold sweat when they read about this. Any future articles
about Wikipedia will surely be much more skeptical of anything said by
an anonymous admin, making it harder for people who are using anonymity
legitimately to serve as sources.

Third, he tried to cover this up through further deception. From Jimbo's
statements, it's clear that Essjay was not frank with him. Essjay was
certainly not frank with others in his explanations of this, at least
the ones on Wikipedia that I've read. This caused further harm to
Wikipedia externally and internally. As the Washington mantra goes,
"It's not the crime, it's the cover-up."

Now personally, I feel terrible for Essjay in this. I can only dimly
imagine the awfulness of having such big portions of one's personal and
professional lives come crashing down like this. Especially when it's
all due to a stupid mistake that snowballed out of control. I wish him
only the best in recovering from this. I look forward to him having a
successful RfA in a few months and resuming his position as, by every
account, a whirlwind of positive contribution.

I also don't think this is anywhere mountain-sized. This will pass, and
I expect it will be much less of landmark than, say, the whole
Seigenthaler thing was. As you point out, articles were generally not
harmed in the making of this, and there have been no credible claims of
abused powers. And certainly, some portion of the people talking about
this are failing to stay cool, creating unnecessary froth.

But to my mind, it's no molehill either. The community placed a lot of
trust in Essjay. Very regrettably, he betrayed part of that trust, and
betrayals always hurt. Making the both project and Jimbo look bad in
public [2] is no small thing to me. More objectively, Jimbo asking
somebody to resign as an administrator, bureaucrat, checkuser, and
member of ArbCom is a sign that this is not a molehill.

William

P.S. Maybe part of the difference in reactions here is that I look at a
lot of the comments and I tend to automatically discount the very
emotional ones? Doing that and trying to pull some consensus position
out of the RFC gives me some comfort, as I feel like it's not far from
what Jimbo decided to do.

[1] If you're not sure about this, see the commentary in reaction to
this. For example, from the Chronicle of Higher Education: "But the
incident is clearly damaging to Wikipedia's credibility -- especially
with professors who will now note that one of the site's most visible
academics has turned out to be a fraud."

[2] For example, this quote from Stephen Dubner, co-author of
Freakonomics: "This is hardly a felony, but it does make you wonder
about what else happens at Wikipedia that Jimmy Wales doesn’t have a
problem with."

--
William Pietri <william at scissor.com>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:William_Pietri