[WikiEN-l] EssJay situation

Aude audevivere at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 15:26:03 UTC 2007

It will be easier for Jimbo to wade through comments and diffs provided by
the community, if it's all together on one page rather than spread out first
on Jimbo's talk page, then Essjay's talk page, then more discussion here on
the mailing list, on the community noticeboard, and while I haven't been on
IRC, surely discussion going on there too.  Sure there were some incivil
comments, but for the most part the comments were very civil and thoughtful
from regular Wikipedians.

The comments also present the community's opinion on the situation to the
news media and larger public.  Take this piece in the Chronicle for Higher
Education:  http://chronicle.com/wiredcampus/index.php?id=1909  They point
out that not all Wikipedians agree with Jimbo's statement to the New
Yorker.  Standing by silently and saying nothing, in my opinion, says "I
approve of Jimbo's statement" and is an unacceptable choice.  It's necessary
for community members to speak up in this situation.

I think it led to a swifter response from Jimbo (the best he could do, given
he's in India) which is important to mitigate the situation.

Regards.

> On 3/3/07, MacGyverMagic/Mgm <macgyvermagic at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I was unaware Essjay used fake credentials in content disputes, but
> seeing
> > as that appears to be confirmed now, I think a resignation is in order.
> > Still, I don't think the community noticeboard vote and incivil comments
> > were not the way to go about this. I would've waited for a decree from
> > Jimbo, and now we have one.
>
> If it wasn't for the CN noticeboard stuff it is doubtful the relivant
> difs would have come to light.
>
> --
> geni

Aude