[WikiEN-l] Correction to New Yorker Article

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 05:53:46 UTC 2007

<jeff.raymond at internationalhouseofbacon.com> wrote:

>> Because, generally, we don't expect people to lie about their
academic
>> credientials.  How many editors in that area who would know if
he were
>> making it up do we even have?  And, again, Essjay was (yes, the
word is
>> now was) a very trusted member of the community - he kept the
charade up
>> enough where few, if any, would bother questioning him anyway.
That's a
>> problem, and it's disturbing that you don't recognize it.
>
> Why not? And why would you suppose if you for example tried to
pass yourself
> off as a Th.D that people who actually are wouldn't find certain
things odd
> about what you say? This entire charge against Essjay falls
  under the
> pseudonym issue,
> and of course is entirely ironic that most of the critics happen
  to be
> either disgruntled
> (Kelly) or themselves anonymous. The issue is between Essjay and
the New
> Yorker.
> We dont have a personnel screening policy. The onus was on the
Pulitzer
> prize winning
> author to check her sources, not to rely on a third party.
>
> - Stevertigo

As one of those "anonymous" users (I certainly hope I cannot be
counted among the disgruntled), I feel I must protest. I do not
think the criticism of myself and people like me is "ironic" in
any way: our very ability to work peaceably and quietly on the
wiki demonstrates that one does not need to fabricate a false
life, ostensibly in order to defend oneself against trolls and
assorted ne'er-do-wells. Our existence militates against the very
suggestion of a false dichotomy (between either risking your
personal life by revealing everything truthful, or simply making
stuff up which sounds plausible) - there is at least a third
option: to say nothing. Americans might be familiar with the idea
of a 'Fifth amendment'; I would like to say that on a wiki, about
your private life you *do* have the right to remain silent.

--
Gwern
Inquiring minds want to know.